This week in sports

Mar 7th, 2018 | By | Category: 2017-2018, Sports

By Aaron Oda

This week in sports we cover both local events and exciting future prospects. Let’s see what happened this week in sports.

This week, we have to talk about the surging Portland Trail Blazers. I hope this feature doesn’t jinx them because they currently find themselves in third place in the Western Conferenc,e only trailing the world champion Golden State Warriors and the Houston Rockets. This third seed is a real accomplishment for the Blazers because they are easily exceeding season expectations. With the West being a race between two teams, third is a pretty big deal. The Blazers are on a seven game winning streak going into Tuesday with their last win coming against the Lakers on Monday by a score of 108-103. The Blazers do have a tough schedule coming up in the next two week, playing the Warriors and the Lebron led Cleveland Cavaliers. Damien Lillard has been the main source of results in the last 10 games, averaging 31.6 points, 5.9 assists and 1.4 steals per game.

The NFL combine was held this week and there were some major things to talk about. The first and most inspiring topic is UCF linebacker Shaquem Griffin who only has one hand due to a birth defect he had. His combined performance included 20 repetitions on the bench press at 225 pounds and a 4.38 40 yard dash that happened to be the fastest by a linebacker in 15 years. He definitely moved himself up the draft board for many teams around the league. Another noteworthy prospect that was able to make a name for himself was Saquon Barkley from Penn State who has moved himself into the first pick contention. His combine performance included 29 repetitions on the bench press at 225 pounds and a 4.40 yard dash for a 223 pound running back.

IT IS TIME! We are getting into the most fabulous time in college basketball: March Madness. Conference tournaments around the country have just begun, so it is a perfect time to get acclimated to buzzer beaters, upsets and cinderella stories. From the conference champions, we are able to fill in the rest of the 64 team single elimination bracket that will decide the national champion in Men’s division 1 basketball.

Ohh brah have you ever noticed quote of the week:

“The cost of living is always about the same; all a person has.” —Joe Moore