Home2017-2018This week in sports

This week in sports

By Aaron Oda

NBA

The top story in the NBA is once again that of our Portland Trail Blazers. They are still on a winning streak, which has now been extended to 13 games due to Sunday’s win against the Los Angeles Clippers by a score of 122-109. This streak means that the team has not lost since the all-star break, which was about four weeks ago.

Dame Dollah took center stage as he provided the team 26.2 points and 7.4 assists in the last five games. The Blazers have also been able to play some stout defense allowing the fifth best points per game mark at 103 points and ranking third in rebound with 45.4 per game. With stats like these on both ends of the floor we should continue to see success from the Blazers. In the last five games they have played top tier competition, including the likes of the Golden State Warriors winning 125-108, the Cleveland Cavaliers winning 113-105, and the Miami Heat winning 115-99.

MLB

We are officially less than two weeks from opening day, 10 to be exact. This baseball season will be exciting to watch because, just like basketball, there was a lot of movement with star players to already good teams. The most obvious move that fits this criteria is Giancarlo Stanton, who is now a New York Yankee standing with his buddy Aaron Judge. These two bashers will not want to be a pair to be messed with this season, especially at home. Some have boldly predicted that both guys could achieve the 60 home run mark and maybe even push beyond that, which would rank them inside the top five of all time.

Another mover is Andrew McCutchen, who is headed to McCovey cove. This 2013 National League MVP is going to add an experienced and productive bat to an already dangerous lineup with Buster Bosey, Brandon Belt and Hunter Pence. Another bold prediction is that the 2018 World Series is brought back to the bay because it is an even year and the Giants will return to glory after skipping 2016 in what has been a dominant decade for them.

NCAAB

This years tournament has earned the title of March Madness. Right off the bat, we saw a 16 seeded team beat a first seeded team for the first time ever. The UMBC retrievers beat the top overall seed Virginia by a score of 74-54. The South region that UMBC found itself in was setting records on its own, as it is the first one ever to not have a seed 1-4 advance to the sweet 16 round. The four teams that are left are ninth seed Kansas State, fifth seeded Kentucky, 11th seeded Loyola Chicago, and seventh seeded Nevada.

The Loyola Chicago team has also been making headlines in the tournament because of the 98 year old Sister Jean, who is the team’s champlin has been leading the team in prayer before games. How can a story be any more endearing than having a 98 year old lady help a team navigate the rough and tumble season.

Ohh brah have you ever noticed quote of the week:

“Credit cards are what people use after they discover that money can’t buy everything.” –Joe Moore

aoda@willamette.edu