Home2017-2018This week in sports

This week in sports

By Aaron Oda

This week in sports we say goodbye to March Madness but welcome a fresh and new Major League Baseball season. Also, the Masters is this weekend and I will be tuning in to see if Tiger can win another green jacket. Let’s take a look at this week in sports.

NCAAB

On Monday the madness finally came to a close with Villanova winning it all, beating Michigan with a final score of 79-62. The star of the game was a bench player, Donte DiVincenzo, who was able to contribute 31 points shooting 10-15 from the field and 5-7 from three point country. This Villanova team was all about the threes, hitting a record number against the Kansas Jayhawks in the final four. This year the madness hit a new all time high: we saw the first 16 seed in the men’s tournament knock off the 1 seed in the first round, a nun that helped led an 11 seed team to the final four, and a plethora of upsets. The Women’s Champion was the Notre Dame Fighting Irish who were led by Arike Ogunbowale who hit back to back game winning jump shots at the buzzer to beat the all powerful and undefeated Uconn, then knocking off Mississippi State in the championship game. In the championship game she scored 18 points with three rebounds and and assists.

NBA

With teams having five games or so left in the regular season, it is time to start putting together the playoff picture. The Portland Trail Blazers were able to hold strong in the Western Conference race and absent of a catastrophic meltdown, should be able to hold on to the third seed. Some of the other notable news heading into the playoffs is the Houston Rockets have clinched the number one overall seed in the Western Conference meaning they will have home court advantage throughout the playoffs. The Golden State Warriors on the other hand will be playing without Stephen Curry for at least the first round of the playoffs while he tries to heal a sprained ligament in his knee.

In the Eastern Conference the rebuilt Cleveland Cavaliers look to avenge a rather poor regular season for their standards and make a push for another trip to the finals. In their way are the Toronto Raptors who are currently the number one seed in the Eastern Conference and have been playing out of their minds with the guard combo of Kyle Lowry and Demar Derozan.

MLB

Opening day has come! The long 162 game baseball season is now underway and gives each team a fresh start for the chance to win the World Series. The so called Babe Ruth of Japan, Shohei Ohtani, was able to win his first ever major league start beating the Oakland A’s by a score of 7-4. He went six innings giving up three runs and striking out six batters while only walking one. His hitting has not been so hot, only going one for five in his first couple games with the Los Angeles Angels. If you want to follow a player all year it should be Ohtani because he supposedly has an electric fastball and is able to hit bombs at the plate, making him the complete baseball player.

Another interesting early story line that people should be looking out for is whether or not the Astros hold up and contend for another World Series trophy. After being subpar for many years, the Astros were finally able to turn it all around by forming a core group of young studs that led them a championship last year. But can this group recreate what they did last year and become a team of the decade? It will take all 162 games to decide, until next week K DEN!

Ohh brah have you ever noticed quote of the week:

“Exceptions are as true as rules.” —Joe Moore

aoda@willamette.edu