This week in sports

Apr 11th, 2018 | By | Category: 2017-2018, Sports

This week in sports

By Aaron Oda

This week in sports we take a look at a masterful weekend of golf, the newly started baseball season and the playoff picture in the NBA.

NBA

Going into the last week of the regular season, let’s set up the playoff picture. Everyone is more or less locked in other than the eighth seed in the Western Conference, which is still being decided between the Denver Nuggets and the Minnesota Timberwolves. They happen to play each other in the last game of the season today in Minnesota. The Trail Blazers were able to hold onto the third seed in the West and will probably play the San Antonio Spurs in the first round. All I can say is this team outplayed expectations and they did it by playing sound team basketball. In the Eastern Conference the top seed will be a team from the North, the Toronto Raptors, with Lebron James’ Cleveland Cavaliers taking the fourth seed.

Here are some astonishing stats that I saw on James’ season: he played in all 81 regular season games so far, he is averaging 37.2 minutes per game — with a game having 40 total minutes — and he has 745 assists this season. James is getting this done in his 15th season in the league at the age of 33.

MLB

So the Shohei Ohtani experiment has looked good so far this season. He is hitting .389 with three home runs in only 18 at bats this season. The pitching has also been good, especially his last outing where he had a perfect game through six innings. He finished the game going seven innings giving up only one hit and one walk, striking out 12. This is a small sample size, but things are looking bright for Ohtani if he can keep this pace up over the 162 game haul. The Seattle Mariners are an even 4-4 so far this season but there is a lot of optimism for the Mariners, who currently hold the longest streak without a playoff appearance for a sports franchise. With the same core of guys, they look to finally progress over the hump and get into the postseason.

Golf

Even with Tiger Woods out of contention for most of the weekend, The Masters was still must watch television. The champion of the weekend was Patrick Reed, shooting 15 under par. In the Sunday pairing he was with four-time major champion Rory Mcilroy, who was only down three strokes and got as close as one in the first nine holes. Reed was able to hold him off as Mcilroy did not have a very good Sunday, shooting two over par. Another major champion in Jordan Speith and a top 20 golfer in Rickie Fowler also wanted there shot for the coveted green jacket. Spieth was able to play a day best of eight under par while Fowler added a five under par to his name. But once again Reed was able to hold him off with some key par putts down the stretch and was able to win his first ever major tournament. Until next week, K DEN!

Ohh brah have you ever noticed quote of the week

“People who wait to do a great deal of good at once, never do anything.” — Joe Moore

aoda@willamette.edu