Track and Field is jumping right in at the Pacific Preview

Mar 16th, 2017 | By | Category: 2016-2017, Sports

By Louis Knox

This past weekend, the Willamette track and field team competed in the Pacific Preview. The Preview featured athletes from all over the Northwest Conference.

There were several Willamette athletes who shined over the weekend. The best performance came from junior Jewell Sparks, who won the 400-meter hurdles. Sparks listed the top time of 1:05.75, which was just 0.16 seconds from her personal best time.

Another top performer was junior sprinter Taneah Rushen. She finished in third place in the 200-meter dash with a time of 26.81, complimenting her sixth place finish in the 100-meter dash in a time of 13.04.

Another solid performance came from freshman jumper Elijah Hall-Crockett. Crockett tied for seventh place in the men’s high jump with an impressive height of 5’ 9.75” and this put him within six inches of the top mark on the day.

Freshman jumper Brittany Broughton finished in second place in the women’s high jump. She recorded a height of 4’10.25;” this put her just two inches away from the top mark.

In shot put, Willamette had several athletes perform well. Freshman Saige Swan placed eighth with a top throw of 43’6. Along with Swan, freshman Josh Martin finished 11th with a toss of 42’ 5.5”.

Another top thrower was Senior Angie Turpen. She placed seventh in the women’s hammer throw with a toss of 125’ 5.5.” She also finished 10th in discus with a throw of 110’9.”

However, she was outdone by another Willamette thrower, freshman Hope Duenas. The freshman finished fifth in the discus with a distance of 126’ 6.5”.

The Bearcats are set to have a dual meet against Corban University this coming week from Tuesday, March 14 through Thursday, March 16.

lknox@willamette.edu