Home2018-2019Track and field’s first meet

Track and field’s first meet

Jarin Kobashigawa,

Sports editor

The track and field team traveled to Pullman, WA to compete in the Washington State University Cougar Indoor Invitational. Last weekend schools from the Northwest Conference (NWC) including Lewis & Clark College, Linfield College, Pacific University and Puget Sound University, were in attendance. Other schools such as Gonzaga, Eastern Washington, University of Idaho and Spokane Community College came to showcase their talents as well.

On the first day of the invitational, Friday, Feb. 1, junior thrower Hope Duenas placed first in her flight and eighth among 26 other competitors in the women’s weight throw division. Junior thrower Saige Swam placed 11th out of 25 in the men’s weight throw. Sophomore Jeidah DeZurney recorded a personal best of 34’ 1.50” in the women’s weight throw division and placed ninth in her flight.

In the women’s 5,000-meter run, senior Emily Evans and sophomore Risa Shutz finished in ninth and 10th with times of 20:10.45 and 20:53.15.

Junior Kellen Bulger ran in the men’s 5,000-meter run and clocked in at 17:22.01, finishing in 15th place.

On the second and last day of the invitational, sophomore Keaton Beckmann won the men’s long jump with a height of 22’ 7.25”. Junior Brian Peck finished in 11th place with a height of 19’ 9.75”. Beckmann also competed in the men’s 200-meter dash and took second place with a time of 23.25 seconds. Junior Connor Giannini won third place in the men’s 200-meter dash with a time of 23.43 seconds. Junior Michael Montague finished second in the men’s one mile run with a time of 4:23.76, just 1.13 seconds behind Kyler Sager of Western Washington University.

Senior Hazel Carr finished in 16th out of 33 runners in the women’s one mile run with a time of 5:34.39. Senior Keith Carlson competed in the men’s 3,000-meter run and took seventh place with a time of 9:01.56.

First-year Matt Ihling showcased some potential, completing his 800-meter run in 2:03.31 and finishing in 16th out of 32 runners. Sophomore Isabel Duxbury came in 11th in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:24.87. Junior high jumper Brittany Broughton joined three other athletes in a three-way tie for 10th place after jumping 4’ 11”. Swan grabbed seventh in the men’s shot put with a distance of 45’ 5”.

The Bearcats will start their 2019 outdoor season by hosting the Willamette Opener on Saturday, March. 2 which is set to start at 10 am (PST).

jtkobashigawa@willamette.edu