Home2018-2019Track & field takes first place in six events

Track & field takes first place in six events

Cody Miller,

Willamette’s track & field competitors recorded six first-place finishes and several top five finishes on Saturday, March 9 at an event that was hosted by Pacific University in Forest Grove, OR.

First-year Adrian Schnee won the women’s high jump after clearing 5’ 1” on her first attempt and accumulating fewer misses than her opponents. In second place was Savannah Proske from Northwest Christian, who also cleared 5’ 1” but on her second attempt. Junior Brittany Broughton placed fourth in the competition. Schnee also placed second in the 400-meter hurdles, finishing in 1:07.67. This event was won by Northwest Christian’s Briana Jury with a time of 1:07.03.

In the women’s 1500-meter run, sophomore Isabel Duxbury and senior Hazel Carr placed second and third, respectively. The event was won by Northwest Christian’s Cassandra Brownell with a time of 4:46.73. Sophomore Grace Crookham-Guy took second in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:27.76. Junior Hope Duenas took first place over 14 other competitors in the women’s discus throw, with a toss distance of 130’ 7”. Last year, Duenas placed 20th in 2018 NCAA Division III Outdoor Track & Field Championships while setting a personal best throw of 147’ 2”.

The men’s 400-meter dash was won by Junior Connor Giannini with a time of 50.61 seconds, which was over one second better than the second place runner, Antonio Campos of Northwest Christian, who finished with a time of 51.67. This was a new personal record for Giannini.

Junior Michael Montague was named NWC men’s track athlete of the week after winning the 1500-meter run, finishing with a time of 3:59.35. Montague finished over four seconds before second place Dillon Rising from George Fox University. Senior Keith Carlson placed fifth with a time of 4:07.29. Willamette MBA student RoShaan Rogers won the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 57.06.

In the men’s hammer throw competition, junior Saige Swan won with a total distance of 160’ 5”, improving his personal record by over 11 feet. The second place finisher was George Fox’s Collin Alteneder, who threw for 147’. Swan also took third place in the shot put event, with a distance of 43’ 2.5”. The winner of this competition was an unattached athlete (not associated with any college), Dayne Gordien, who recorded a distance of 52’ 11”.

The Willamette track & field team will be competing today and tomorrow, Wednesday, March 13 and Thursday, March 14 for the Willamette-Corban Dual taking place at Charles Bowles Track in Salem, OR. Every event will take place on the track except for the hammer throw, which will be hosted at Corban University.

ctmiller@willamette.edu

Tags