Home2017-2018Weekend Sports Recap: Volleyball and football

Weekend Sports Recap: Volleyball and football

By Dani Sauners

On Friday night, the Willamette Volleyball team traveled north to play the Lewis and Clark College Pioneers. It was a tough match for the Bearcats, as they were without their leading hitter, sophomore Kendall Fox, and it showed as they lost 3-0. The first game was a nailbiter as the Bearcats lost 26-24. The second game was a back and forth battle as the Bearcats had the lead early in the game but could not hold on.

On Saturday the Bearcats took on the George Fox Bruins in Newberg, Oregon.  The Bearcats won the first set 25-19 but then lost the next three 25-12, 25-15 and 25-13. There were younger faces on the court earning kills for the Bearcats, two of which were first-years Arianna Khan and Jaiden Mason. Mason had four kills and 19 assists. In the first set, junior Larsen Fellows blazed the trail for the Bearcats winning the set by serving an ace followed immediatley by a kill. This then prompted Mason to earn one of her kills for the match. A noteworthy statistic is that first-year Elena Vasquez had 20 digs in the match against the Bruins; she led the Bearcat team with this. However, the Bearcats were not able to hold off the Bruins in the long run.

After this match, the Bearcat volleyball team is now 2-6 in the Northwest Conference and 5-11 overall. Their next match will be on Friday, Oct. 13 against Linfield College in the Cone Field House at 7 p.m. Come up to support the volleyball team as they take on one our biggest rivals!

Speaking of Linfield, the football team took on the Wildcats last Saturday, Oct. 7.  Linfield came to the game as the heavy favorites, as they are ranked seventh in the country. The final score of the game ended with Linfield College on top 55-14. The first quarter was when the score was tightest: 14-7. Linfield scored on the first possession of the game with a drive of 76-yards. To answer back, sophomore Garrett Keizur scored on a 36-yard pass from senior Ryan Knowlton. This touchdown was possible due to senior Joey Thurman’s kickoff return of 45 yards. There was 9:19 left in the first quarter when the Bearcats tied it up with the Wildcats. The first quarter ended and unfortunately, Linfield answered back with two more touchdowns and a field goal  to put the score at 28-7 with minutes remaining in the first half of the game. Senior Jordan Fickas answered back with a 3-yard touchdown catch on a pass  from Knowlton, and senior Ben Jahn kicked the extra point. The score was 28-14 when the first half ended.

The second half was a scoreless one for the Bearcats, leaving it at 55-14. Willamette is now 0-2 in the Northwest Conference and their next game will be against George Fox University in Newberg, Oregon beginning at 1 p.m.

dsaunder@willamette.edu