Widespread Obama era regulation cuts take effect

Jan 25th, 2018 | By | Category: 2017-2018, News

By Kellen Bulger
News Editor

Just over a month ago, President Trump gave a rare press conference from the Roosevelt Room. When delivering his written speech at the podium, he proudly proclaimed, “Today’s call to action is about regaining our independence, reclaiming our heritage, and rediscovering what we can achieve when our citizens are free to follow their hearts and chase their dreams.”

Shortly thereafter, he walked about ten feet to the left where two massive piles of empty papers lay, bound together by a piece of red tape, held like a sash. The smaller pile of papers on the left had a sign on the front of it which read “1960” and the larger stack had a sign which read “TODAY”. Moments before the president completed the completely symbolic act of cutting the sash, he stated that the U.S. when the current administration is finished will “… have a great regulatory climate.”

While the president’s gesture last month certainly made the Reagan conservatives and libertarian wing of the Republican party salivate, when looked at further, it appears to be more akin to one of his many tweets. The deregulation proclamation was more about his apparent plethora of accomplishments than any noteworthy news.

This current administration’s many moves to tear down anything and everything related to the Obama era is what is being lumped under these so-called “regulation cuts.” For example, Trump’s pulling out of the Paris Climate Agreement earlier in 2017, a move that was unsupported by a majority of major American corporations like Apple, GE, Microsoft, Tesla, and even oil giants like ConocoPhillips and Exxonmobil, was thrown in under these “regulation cuts.” In spite of companies ranging from the tech to oil industries support for the Paris Climate Agreement, Trump stated in his deregulation press conference a month ago that “we have so many companies that are destroyed by regulation.”

Another piece of deregulation that was apart of the president’s list which will supposedly jumpstart economic growth domestically, was the decision to sign a bill in February that undid an Obama era regulation in relation to gun control. The bill made it so mentally disabled beneficiaries no longer have to submit their names to the Social Security Administration allowing the organization to conduct background checks prior to purchasing a firearm.

Trump’s rhetoric will undoubtedly serve his purpose of tugging at the heartstrings of those who believe government has overreached over the last eight years. However, one certainly has to be curious how breaking down barriers for the mentally ill to buy weapons and alienating much of the global and national community alike by rescinding the U.S. from the Paris Climate Agreement, will serve his greater purpose of jumpstarting economic growth.

kpbulger@willamette.edu