Home2017-2018Willamette Golf teams enjoy Southern California over spring break

Willamette Golf teams enjoy Southern California over spring break

By Eric Del Prado
Sports Editor

The men’s golf team came in 17th place in the West Cup over spring break, shooting a combined score of 973. Junior Sam Hinton led the way for the Bearcats as he came in 50th place with a combined score of 239. He shot an 81 on each of the first two days and a 77 on the final day of the tournament. First year Ben Graham was tied for 21st place after the first two days of golf but he was unable to play on the the third day. Junior Kenneth Sheldon added a combined score of 243. He was consistent throughout the weekend as he shot a 79, an 82 and another 82. Junior Trent Jones finished the tournament with a score of 249. Senior Spencer Hong finished with a score of 273. Hinton was pleased with the teams results.

“The golf course is always really tough. Two of us were pretty sick for the whole trip which really contributed to us struggling to play at our normal level.”

The men are looking forward to the NWC Spring Classic this weekend.

“All of us are very familiar with the golf course which really helps our position. It’s also important to remember that we are still in first place and have done a lot to get into this position,” Hinton stated.

Senior Maddi Barnett led the way for the women’s golf team with a score of 172, while sophomore Lexi Towner shot a 182. Sophomore Kristen Barclay shot a 188, first year Camy Pickworth shot a 191 and first year Katerin Vasquez shot a 225. Each of the Bearcats improved on the second day of golf, which led to the Bearcats finishing in 17th place in the Bulldog Classic hosted by Redlands University. The Bearcats look to use this momentum and improvement in their match this weekend, as they participate in the NWC Spring Classic at the Hangman Valley Golf Course. This event is hosted by Whitworth University in Spokane, Washington.

edelprad@willamette.edu