Willamette Softball team opens NWC play

Feb 28th, 2018 | By | Category: 2017-2018, Sports

By Carrie Fox

The Bearcats kicked of NWC action with a doubleheader against Pacific University this past weekend. Willamette University held a lead in each game, but Pacific rallied to defeat the Bearcats 10-9 and 5-4. The teams were scheduled to complete the four-game series with another doubleheader at the WU Softball Field on Sunday, Feb. 25, but the Sunday games were rained out.

Sophomore Jocelyn Glasgo went three for three in the first game and finished the day four of six with three runs and two walks. In the opener, she hit a triple, scored twice and drove in four runs. Glasgo pitched all seven innings of the second game and took the loss. She allowed seven hits and five runs, but only three runs were earned. She registered four strikeouts and allowed no walks, while throwing 97 pitches with 72 strikes.

The Bearcats started the game with a 6-1 lead after scoring one run in the first inning and five runs in the second. Junior Emily Bishop singled up the middle to start off the first inning. She went to second when freshman Bailey Hillmick reached base on catcher’s interference, and Bishop later scored on a single by Glasgo.

Pacific scored one run at the top of the second. With two outs and runners at first and second in the bottom of the inning, Glasgo hit an RBI single to right, scoring Bishop and moving Hillmick to third. Glasgo was able to make it to second on the throw home.

After sophomore Vanessa Almaraz walked to load the bases, sophomore Maya Shipway sent a two-run single through the right side. Sophomore Kea Gier followed with an RBI single to center, and Shipway eventually scored on a bases-loaded walk by freshman Danielle Koontz.

The Boxers pulled within 6-5 by scoring four times in the third inning, and gained the lead in the top of the fourth giving the Boxers a 7-6 advantage.

Three runs by the Boxers in the sixth inning increased their lead to 10-6. Willamette rallied in the bottom of the seventh, but finished one run short of tying the game. With one out and freshman Kaitlin Manker at first, Hillmick singled to center. Glasgo belted a triple to left field to push Manker and Hillmick across the plate. Almaraz walked. On a double-steal, Glasgo scored and Almaraz went to second, as WU pulled within 10-9. Shipway batted next and walked, but a fly out and a strikeout ended the threat.

Glasgo’s three hits led the Bearcats in the opener and Bishop went two of five with two runs, however the Boxers took the first game 10-9.

In the second game, the Bearcats again fell short 5-4. Willamette trailed 1-0 after Pacific scored in the first inning, but the Bearcats were able to score four runs in the third. Glasgo hit an RBI single down the right field line, and Almaraz drove in a run with an infield single toward third. Shipway brought in the third run with a double to left field, and Almaraz was able to score the fourth run on a ground out by Magnani.

“I think we are a very talented, but very young team this year and that showed this weekend.” Shipway said. “We started off with the lead in both games and offensively were very successful. Our defense struggled, but I think that will clear up with more work together when we get the chance to build our team chemistry. Overall I am beyond excited for the rest of this season, this team is capable of amazing things we just need to seize the opportunities we have.”

“I think the conference opener against Pacific was a great way to start off our season. The games didn’t end the way we wanted them to but we learned a lot about ourselves as a team this weekend. I feel that these two games were a good starting point for our team to capitalize on and we have a lot of potential for the rest of the season we just need to implement the skills we’ve been practicing. I love our team chemistry this year and it’s easy to have fun with my team on and off the diamond. We may be small but we have a lot of talent. I’m happy with my performance this weekend considering it was our conference opener but I know I too have things to improve on and am excited for the direction our team is going,” said Glasgo.

cfox@willamette.edu