Home2018-2019Willamette student body: tiny house edition

Willamette student body: tiny house edition

Brooke Cox,

What would the Willamette student body look like if it were personified as a house? Would it be a pristine mansion or an eco-friendly bungalow? Well, it turns out that the WU community is a tiny house.

Tiny houses are notorious for being small and simple houses where the occupants try to simplify their living spaces by living in a small environment. Not only that, but our interests in sustainability are also reflected through the many sustainable aspects of tiny housing such as the fact that they take up less space and demand less from the environment.

Additionally, many tiny houses can be transported from one place to another, and this ability reflects the ever-changing and moving presence of WU students. We have students from the Tokyo International University, exchange students from other foreign countries and often enough, many of our students travel overseas to visit new countries and learn more about other cultures. The diversity of the students on campus can also be reflected in different aspects of our tiny house. As a mismatched patchwork of different building materials and appliances, this tiny house would reflect all of the unique qualities and interests that WU students have.

Our tiny house would have mismatched patchwork of different building materials. It would be a two-story rectangular house made of dark redwood with a dark brown roof. There would also be a small attached greenhouse on a wooden deck that is supported by a base layer of brick. The front door would be a traditional, rectangular and bright red with brick steps leading up to it. Each side of the house would have two windows — except for the back wall — and there would be a set of sliding glass doors that lead out to the greenhouse. The second story of our tiny house would have two big wall-to-wall square windows on the front and back sides of the house. All of these windows would allow for a picturesque view of the forest that it sits in, as Oregon is often known for its beautiful natural landscapes and forests.

Additionally, hanging from the front porch awning, there would be a set of multicolored wind chimes that would play music whenever the wind blows. These wind chimes are special because music is an important part of this University, and its beauty comes in many forms. On the porch sits two small flower pots that each hold red geraniums.

The inside of the house would be a little cramped, as it would be filled with numerous pieces of furniture and art, much like the art found in Goudy, and each item of furniture and art would reflect different aspects of our student body. There would be a small staircase leading up to the second story, which would have a couch and table that would allow for a good view out of the windows. Downstairs, against the back wall, there would be a floor-to-ceiling bookshelf filled with books of all genres. This reflects the student body’s love of learning and desire to pursue their chosen disciplines, as well as the desire to learn more outside of our major.

There would be a small living room with basic living room furniture and a small dining table. The kitchen would be simple, but with touches of flair. For example, the drawers would be painted multiple colors, in all different shades to add character. However, part of the intrigue of the tiny house is that each item placed in the house has significance to the University. Even though on the outside it looks like a quaint house in the woods, on the inside, it’s a home for creativity and the collision of ideas. And that’s what the WU student body is — creative, unique, friendly and supportive — much like a tiny house.

bcox@willamette.edu

Ally Fisher