Willamette Track and Field has a strong showing

Mar 21st, 2018 | By | Category: 2017-2018, Sports

By Eric Del Prado
Sports Editor

Willamette Track and Field competed in a a dual meet against Corban University at Charles Bowles Track in McCullough Stadium on Tuesday, March 13 through Thursday March 15.

On Tuesday, sophomore Melissa Scott and first year Keaton Beckman held leads in both the heptathlon and decathlon. After four events in the heptathlon Scott had 2,109 points. She came in first place in the 100-meter hurdles as well as the high jump. She came in third place in the shot put and fourth place in the 200-meter sprint. The winner of the 200-meter sprint in the heptathlon was Willamette first year Grace Crookham-Guy. After the heptathlon was completed on Wednesday, Scott came in second place with 3,185 points and Crookham-Guy came in fourth place with 2,954 points. Graham-Guy won three events in the heptathlon.

In the men’s decathlon, first year Keaton Beckmann won with 6,184 points. Beckmann won four events and sophomore Brian Peck came in third place with 5,675 points.

Also on Wednesday, Sophomore Josh Martin won the men’s hammer throw on Wednesday with a throw of 142’9.25.” Sophomore Hope Duenas won the women’s hammer throw with a throw of 147’4.50.”

On Thursday senior Hannah Swanson won the 3,000 meter steeplechase. She completed the race in 10:49.91, and she beat the second place finisher by 54.90 seconds. This time was the fifth fasted in Willamette history. Duenas also took first place in the discus throw. The throw of 140’7.75 moved her into fifth all time. Senior Jewell Sparks set a personal best with a time of 26.58 seconds in the 200-meter run. This was good for a second place finish in the event. Junior Hazel Carr won the 1500-meter run while sophomore Kyla Shade came in second. Carr also won the 800-meter race. Junior Alex Stacy won the triple jump with a personal record of 33’7.75.”

The Willamette men’s 4×100-meter relay team won with a time of 43.42 seconds. The team was made up of seniors Jack Wellman and D’Angelo Guiton, junior Orion Ewell and sophomore Connor Giannini. Sophomore Elijah Hall-Crockett won the men’s triple jump and came in second in the high jump. Wellman won the 200-meter, while sophomore Riley Burton came in second. Sophomore Saige Swan came in first place in the shot put while Martin came in second place. The 10,000 meter race was dominated by the Bearcats. Senior Ricardo Flores-Castillo won the event, sophomore Kellen Bulger came in second and junior Keith Carlson came in third place.

As a team, the Willamette Men’s team beat Corban by a score of 65-48. The Willamette Women’s team lost a close one to Corban, as the final score was 60-53. The Bearcats will run again on Saturday March 24 at the Willamette Invitational at Charles Bowles Track.

edelprad@willamette.edu