Home2017-2018Women’s basketball crushes Lewis & Clark

Women’s basketball crushes Lewis & Clark

By Jarin Kobashigawa

On Friday, George Fox University dominated the Bearcats, shooting about 56percent from the field and winning 81-50. The Bearcats quickly fell behind in the first quarter, 14-22. Efforts by seniors Ashley Evans and Celine Gregoire helped to reduce the lead held by the Bruins, but George Fox continued to tack on points.

As halftime approached, the Bearcats grew even further behind, 26-41, and were unable to find a way to stop the offensive attacks by the Bruins. Kaitin Jamieson, the leading scorer for the Bruins, totaled 12 points before the half. The third and fourth quarter did not differ from the first and second as the Bearcats continued to fall further behind.

The largest lead held by the Bruins was 34 points during the final minute of the fourth quarter. The Bearcats really struggled to get rebounds, getting out rebounded 20-40. Both teams had 16 turnovers, however the Bruins were able to capitalize more on the other team’s mistakes and outscored the Bearcats for points off turnovers 0-10.

Besides Towry one the leading scorers for the Bearcats was sophomore Drew Farmer had 8 points on the day, being four of five on field goals. Additionally Evans and senior Whitney Anderson each had six points. Evans had two assists, three steals, and one blocked shot. Towry was the only player to reach double digits during the game, scoring 16 points. Towry has broken the school record for career three-pointers and is on the verge of breaking the record for career points. After this game, she moved into eighth place on the career assist lists with 239.

On Saturday, Willamette bounced back to defeat Lewis & Clark College, 71-51, shooting 49.2percent of field goals and 53 percent of three pointers. On the other hand, the Pioneers were successful on only 36.5 percent of their field goals and 29.4 percent successful on three-pointers. The Bearcats out rebounded the Pioneers 34-33 and were able to capitalize on fast break plays, outscoring the Pioneers 9-0. After Lewis & Clark took the lead 1-3 in the first quarter, the Bearcats went on a 14-0 run to take a commanding lead. The 14-0 run included two 3-pointers by Evans, and one by Towry and senior Mary Eckenrode, sophomore Elizabeth Logsdon also had a layup. The Bearcats led the game 42-24 at halftime, after going on a 11-4 run in the second quarter. The Bearcats were relentless, scoring seven unanswered points to begin the 3rd quarter, and the Pioneers could not figure out how to stop the offensive strikes by the Bearcats.

Heading into the fourth quarter, the Pioneers allowed another seven unanswered points and eventually fell to Willamette by 20 points. Towry scored 21 points, and now needs 23 points to break Willamette’s all-time record for most career points which is currently held by Jenny Joseph who scored 1,309 points from 1993-94 through 1996-97. Evans, Kochenderfer and Farmer each had nine points on the day. Gregoire snatched six rebounds and had a game high of five assists. The Bearcats improved to 11-8 overall, and 7-3 in the Northwest Conference while the Pioneers dropped to 10-9 overall, and 5-5 in the NWC. On Tuesday, the Bearcats will host school-rival Linfield College at the Cone Field House, it is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. (PST).

jtkobashigawa@willamette.edu