Home2018-2019Women’s basketball takes down Linfield

Women’s basketball takes down Linfield

Jack Kuyper,

Junior Drew Farmer scored a career-high 22 points against Linfield College on Saturday, Feb. 2, leading to a 74-52 win. The Bearcats lost on the day before against Pacific Luthern University in overtime, 50-49

In the first quarter against PLU, the Bearcats grabbed the lead 10-4 on a jump shot by senior leading scorer Britanny Kochenderfer. By the end of the quarter, the Bearcats owned a 12-6 lead. The Lutes quickly grabbed a commanding lead, scoring the first 15 points in the second half, giving them the lead, 21-12. PLU held onto the lead going into halftime, 23-16.

In the fourth quarter, the Lutes widened the margin, 41-34. Katie Taylor of PLU scored two jump shots, but senior Kali Vickery retaliated with a jump shot leaving the score at 45-37 with less than four minutes left. Logsdon urged WU’s comeback with a jump shot, which was assisted by Farmer. Farmer followed this play up with a jumper.

With less than a minute left, Kochenderfer made a jump shot to reduce the Lute’s lead to 45-43. PLU answered back with a layup with only 41 seconds left, but the Bearcats held strong. Junior Kassin Hopkins made a jump shot, with 25 seconds left, once again narrowing PLU’s lead to two points. Kochenferder rebounded a missed free throw by Emma Janousek of PLU and passed it to Farmer who took the ball and made a layup just seconds before time expired, sending the game into overtime.

PLU held off the Bearcats in overtime to achieve a 50-49 victory. Kochenderfer led WU’s scoring with 12 points, 12 rebounds, two blocked shots and an assist. Hopkins recorded eight points and six boards. Logsdon earned seven points, three rebounds and three blocked shots. Farmer led all players in assists, amassing eight. Farmer also contributed six points, four rebounds, two steals and a blocked shot.

On Saturday, Feb. 2, the Bearcats beat school rival Linfield, 74-52. WU took their first lead with a score of 11-10 after Farmer scored on a fast-break. The quarter finished with a 13-13 tie. Early in the second quarter, Linfield took the lead after one of their players made a three-point shot. The Bearcats quickly retaliated by bulking up their defense. That was the last time in the game Linfield got ahead of WU.

First-year Maggie Ballard contributed with a five point run, giving the Bearcats an advantage of 25-18. A bit later, Linfield reduced the Bearcats’ lead to 25-21, but WU answered with a 6-0 run with baskets made by Vickery, Kochenderfer and Logsdon for a 31-21 advantage.

At the half, WU led 34-25. When the second half began, the Wildcats nearly caught up with a three-pointer and jump shot, and closing WU’s lead to four points, 34-30. Carpenter started a 14-2 run with a three-pointer making the score 48-32.

In the fourth quarter, the Bearcats had a shooting average of 90 percent , explaining their significantly higher score. Farmer and sophomore Amanda Carpenter each only missed one shot. Farmer had a career-high 22 points while Carpenter added 17 points to the board. The shot Farmer missed was one out of 11 free throws. Carpenter hit five of six of her three-point shots. Logsdon aided the Bearcats by shooting for 11 points, with five of seven shots made. Logsdon also played fantastically on defense with six boards, three blocks and a steal. Kochenderfer amassed nine points and 11 rebounds. This is her 16th game this season with 10 or more rebounds. Hopkins also greatly aided the team with eight points, seven boards and six assists.

WU improved to 9-12 overall, 4-8 in the NWC while Linfield fell to 10-11 overall and 6-6 in the NWC. This week WU will have Pacific University come to Cone Field House on Feb. 9, at 4 p.m.

Jlkuyper@willamette.edu