Women’s Basketball team raises money to fight cancer

Feb 21st, 2018 | By | Category: 2017-2018, Sports

By Eric Del Prado
Sports Editor

The Willamette women’s Basketball team as been excelling on the court as of late. They completed their first winning season since 2000-2001 and they finished in third place during the regular season in the Northwest Conference.

However, their feats off the court may be more impressive. They are currently participating in the Coaches vs. Cancer 3-point Challenge, and they need our help. Fans can go to this link: https://pledgeit.org/cvc18-willamette-women, and pledge a certain amount of money for every three pointer the Bearcats make. This will surely make a lot of money for the American Cancer Society, because the Bearcats make it rain from downtown, averaging just under eight threes per game.

Assistant coach Katelyn Gruys said the team got involved with the fundraiser because, “We only had one home game in the month of February and we thought the 3 point challenge would be a great way to bring awareness and help raise money to The American Cancer Society on the road.”

As of Feb. 14 the Bearcats had raised the fourth largest amount of money, behind schools like Florida, Villanova and North Carolina. Coach Gruys added, “it has been really fun for the Bearcats to be recognized nationally and competing against these big time universities.”

This upcoming week is a huge one for the Bearcats to raise money. Feb. 18-25 is Rally Week for the challenge, where the team with the most NEW pledges will be give $15,000 to their funds and the second place team will be given $5,000.

Please take some time and donate just a few dollars for each three pointer the Bearcats make in their Northwest Conference Tournament game tomorrow night against Whitman.

edelprad@willamette.edu