Home2018-2019Women’s lacrosse drops two games over the weekend

Women’s lacrosse drops two games over the weekend

Cody Miller,

The women’s lacrosse team lost both of their games this weekend. Their first game was a tough loss against the four-time Northwest Conference (NWC) champion George Fox University, 20-1, on Saturday, March 16. Their second game on Sunday was closer, but the team still ended up losing to the University of Puget Sound (UPS), 8-5.

They played at home on Saturday against the impressive George Fox University team. As the winners of the last four NWC championships and a favorite to win the next one as well, the Bruins proved to be WU’s toughest opponent yet. George Fox ran up a 9-0 lead in the first half with Grace Matteson contributing two goals and Jennifer Burke adding three. Sophomore Lexie Andrade broke the shut out with the team’s only goal. The possession began with Andrade winning a draw control. She eventually scored the point just over a minute later. This was her fifth goal of the season. The Bruins added on another 11 points to cinch their win. They improved to 5-0 on the season and 3-0 in the NWC.

Sophomore Anabel Ohsman totaled eight goals after scoring the game-tying goal before halftime against the University of Puget Sound
PC: Chris Sabato

The next day, the Bearcats looked to bounce back at home against UPS. After a tight back-and-forth contest, the Loggers used a surge of momentum to defeat Willamette. Jenna Kisner began the scoring for UPS. Less than a minute later, first-year Miranda Piros scored an unassisted goal. Six minutes after that, sophomore Alayna Newland scored a goal of her own. UPS responded with two consecutive goals, one by Kisner and the other by Ali Walker. With less than five minutes left in the half, sophomore Anabel Ohsman scored a goal to tie the game, 3-3.

UPS once again took the lead in the second half with a goal by Lauren Mastin. This lead lasted two minutes before first-year Victoria Glidden tied the game with her first goal of the season. UPS then went on a 4-1 run to end the game, with the scoring being broken up by a goal by Andrade with 13 minutes left in the game.

UPS upped their record to 1-3 on the season and 1-2 in the NWC. Willamette dropped to 1-3 overall and 0-2 in the NWC. Piros and Ohsman are currently tied for the most goals scored by a Bearcat this season, with eight. The Bearcats will travel to Dallas, TX for their next game, on Sunday, March 24, where they will face the University of Dallas. The game will be at 12 p.m. (CDT). They will stay in Texas for their next two games, going to Georgetown to face Southwestern University on Tuesday and University of Wisconsin-River Falls on Wednesday.

ctmiller@willamette.edu