Women’s soccer split the week, while Men’s soccer suffers losses

Nov 5th, 2017 | By | Category: 2017-2018, Sports

By Jarin Kobashigawa

Last Wednesday, on Oct. 25, the Women’s soccer team took on Lewis & Clark College and won 3-1. The Bearcats struck first in the 15th minute when a header by senior Kelsey Walker was deflected by the goalkeeper, leading to senior Emmy Manset heading the ball into the back-right corner of the net. On the Pioneers second shot attempt of the game, they scored from short-range following a deflection by a Willamette defender. Roughly one minute later, Manset answered back and scored on a pass by sophomore Jenae Arnold, in which the shot went over the charging goalkeeper. In the second half, the Bearcats continued to put pressure on the Pioneers’ defense and were successful in the 68th minute when first year Lacey Jones scored near the penalty area for the final goal of the game. Goalie sophomore Kristen Barclay had two saves on the day and rotated out with first year Kahiau Freitas in the 73rd minute. The Bearcats owned a 19-4 shot advantage which included 12-3 shots on goal.

On Saturday, the Bearcats tied Pacific University 2-2 after two overtimes. The Boxers were the first to score during the 26th minute when a handball penalty by the Bearcats led to the goal. Three minutes into the second half, sophomore Yume Matsuyama rebounded a shot by Manset, dribbled until she was about 15 yards away and blasted the ball into the lower right corner. Pacific answered back during the 67th minute, scoring from 17 yards out.

As time was ticking down, Manset tied the game. Entering the penalty area, she dribbled around a defender, and shot from 13 yards out. The game remained tied through two overtime periods. Willamette held a substantial 36-10 advantage for shot attempts, and 18-3 shots on goal. Willamette moved to 11-4-3 on the season, 8-4-2 in the NWC. Pacific who has yet to win a game, stands at 0-14-3 overall, and 0-11-2 in the NWC. The Bearcat’s next game will be on Saturday, Nov. 4 which is also Senior Day at Sparks against Puget Sound. Game time is set for 12 p.m. (PDT).

On Saturday, the Bearcats suffered a loss to Pacific Lutheran University 2-1. During the first half, both teams had three shot attempts that were on target, but only the Lutes were successful. First year Omar Dominguez Pascasio, senior Alan Hernandez, sophomore Nicholas Ballenger all had shot attempts and threatened the Lute’s defense. First year Carter McCleary scored his first collegiate goal at the 81st minute following a pass by junior Joe Plaster. However, the Lutes answered just 38 seconds later the ball was stolen by a Lute player and was passed down the field, the goal was scored from the right side. The game ended with Willamette owning a disadvantage in shot attempts 10-13 and 5-4 shots on goal. Junior goalkeeper Marco Gonzalez-Yanez earned two saves on the day. After this game, the Bearcats and the Lutes were tied for first place in the NWC standings with two games remaining.

On Sunday, the Bearcats took on Puget Sound University, battling through nearly two completely scoreless halves, until giving up a last second goal. With 4:55 left in the game, a Logger player scored his first goal of the season following a cross which entered the middle of the field.

In the remaining few minutes, Willamette rushed to get the ball on the Logger’s side. Junior Quinn Mello-Bastida took a corner kick, leading to Hernandez’s shot which was unfortunately blocked by a defender. The game ended with Puget Sound holding a 7-12 advantage in shot attempts, which included 3-8 shots on goal. Gonzalez-Yanez earned seven saves for the Bearcats and kept the game scoreless for majority of the game. Puget Sound improved to 9-6-1, including 7-5-1 (22 points) in the NWC. Willamette fell to 9-6-2 overall and to 8-3-2 (26 points) in the NWC. The Bearcats fell to second in the NWC standings with one game remaining. Willamette will close out the season on Saturday, November 4th, against Linfield at 12 p.m. (PDT).

jtkobashigawa@willamette.edu