Home2017-2018Women’s Soccer team wins twice over the weekend

Women’s Soccer team wins twice over the weekend

By Jarin Kobashigawa

Over the weekend the men’s soccer team tied once and lost once. On Saturday, the Bearcats tied the Whitman Blues 1-1 in double overtime. In a scoreless first half, Willamette held a 5-1 shot advantage, with two of the five shots being on goal. The Bearcats took the lead at the 68th minute when a strong throw-in by junior Joe Plaster was deflected into the net by a Whitman player. The Blues tied the game with just under 24 minutes remaining in the game on a cross that was met by a Whitman player and put into the goal.

In the first overtime during the 95th minute, Bearcat sophomore Hijiri Iimima’s shot was just wide of the goal. The game was forced into its second overtime, where seniors Quinn Mello-Bastida and Alan Hernandez both threatened to score, Mell-Bastida’s shot was wide right and Hernandez’s shot got blocked. Willamette’s defense, which had two saves on shots that were on target, kept the overtime period scoreless.

On Sunday, the Bearcats suffered its first loss in ten games to Whitworth University. Whitworth’s first goal came at the 25 minute on a cross from the right, which was redirected into the net from a few yards out. Just before the half ended, at the 42nd minute, sophomore Patrick Charlton hit an eight-yard header into the goal from a pass by Mello-Bastida.

With under nine minutes remaining in the game, a Whitworth player rebounded a shot to take the lead. Gonzalez-Yanez stopped the first shot on goal, but a nearby Whitworth player was able to finish the job. Sophomore Sodai Takayanagi and first year Max Berner-Hays both tried to tie the game but fell short. In the second half Whitworth held a 6-7 shot advantage, and 2-5 shot on goal advantage. Additionally, four yellow cards were issued, three of which were Whitworth’s. The Pirates improved to 7-6-1 on the season, and 5-3-1 in the NWC. Willamette fell to 7-4-2 on the season and 6-1-2 in the NWC, but remained in first Place. The Bearcat’s next game will be on Saturday, Oct 21 against George Fox University, in Newberg, Oregon, and will begin at 12 p.m. (PDT).

The women’s team went 2-0 on the weekend, shutting out Whitworth University and Whitman College. On Saturday, the Bearcats challenged the Whitworth Pirates and took complete control of the game, outshooting the Pirates 23-6. Sophomore Fionn Fortune struck first for the Bearcats at the 16-minute mark. Sophomore Yume Matsuyama took the shot on the goal, which led to Fortune’s finishing touch into the left side of the goal. Sophomore Rachael Moulton belted the next goal into the upper left section of the goal from 30-yards outside on a free-kick. Emmy Manset, the senior, led Willamette with five shots on the day. Willamette’s goalkeeper, sophomore Kristen Barclay, accumulated four saves on the day.

On Sunday, the Bearcats pulled off another shutout win of 3-0 against Whitman College. Manset was involved in every scoring play, scoring two goals of her own and assisting with the one other goal. Manset’s first goal came during the ninth minute when she sent the ball into the lower right corner of the goal. Shanna Keil, a sophomore, played the through ball that set Manset up for the opportunity. Caroline Adams, a first year, was the other Bearcat to score, her shot was placed in the right side of the goal. Following a shot by Manset which was blocked by a defender, Adams, from 15 yards outside of the goal blasted a shot to make the score 2-0. The final goal came at the 89th minute when Manset successfully took a penalty kick after being tripped up inside of the penalty area. Willamette took 37 shots against the Blues, including 21 shots on goal. Keil had five shots, first year Lacey Jones had four shots, senior Kelsey Walker and  Fortune both had three shots. Barclay registered two saves and recorded the shutout. The Bearcats improved to 9-3-2, and 6-3-1 in the NWC. The Bearcats are fourth in the NWC standings with 19 points, trailing the third place University of Puget Sound by one point. Next week Saturday, the Bearcats will host archrival Linfield College, at Sparks Field beginning at 12 p.m. (PDT).

jtkobashigawa@willamette.edu