Home2018-2019Women’s tennis has a victorious weekend

Women’s tennis has a victorious weekend

Jarin Kobashigawa,
Sports Editor

Women’s tennis dominated its opponents this weekend, winning both matches against Bellevue College and the College of Idaho.

The Bearcats swept the Bellevue Bulldogs in its doubles matches and won all except one singles match in their 8-1 victory. In the first doubles match, sophomores Sarah Dean and Robin Pashek defeated Anna Sneesby and Haylee Irving, 8-2. Sophomore Sylvia Marr and senior Alexis Gjurasic controlled their game against Annie Luong and Joanna Sakoda, winning 8-0. In the last doubles match, sophomore Siena Ginsburg and senior Hannah Andres overcame Heather Lin and Ginevra Luger, 8-3.

In singles, Dean started the Bearcats off with a 6-1 and 6-0 win against Sneesby. Pashek followed Dean’s match with a win against Luong, 6-2 and 6-3. Ginsberg swept Lin in two 6-0 matches. Marr rallied past Sakoda, 6-3, in the first set and swept her in the second set, 6-0. Gjurasic and Irving battled in the closest match of the day. Gjurasic won the first set 6-3, but Irving came back to sweep her in the second set. The match went to a super tie-breaker when Irving won 10-6. A super tie-breaker is a first to 10 set that occurs when both players win one set each. In the final match, sophomore Alexis Schwartz defeated Luger, 6-2 and 6-1.

The win didn’t add to WU’s record because Bellevue College is a two-year college that competes in the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) and the Northwest Athletic Conference (NWAC). The Bearcats, on the other hand, are part of the NCAA DIII and Northwest Conference (NWC).

For the second time this weekend, the Bearcats won all their doubles matches, this time against the College of Idaho on Saturday, March 2. Additionally, WU only lost two singles matches in their 7-2 victory.

Sophomore Sarah Dean serving the ball.
Sophomore Sarah Dean won all of her matches against Bellevue College and the College of Idaho this past weekend to help the Bearcats win both their games.
Chris Sabato

Dean and Pashek won the first doubles match against Alex Sorte and Natalie Little, 8-1. Marr and Gjurasic won in a tightly contested game 8-7 after winning the tie-breaking game 7-5.

Ginsburg and Andres brought home the final doubles match against Leiana Almaraz and Taylor Little in a quick 8-1 win.

In the singles division, the Bearcats won the first and last two games. Sorte outplayed Dean in the first set 3-6, but Dean came back in the next two sets to win, 6-2 and 6-3 for the tie-breaker. Pashek only lost one point against Marissa Shirley in her 6-0 and 6-1 win.

Ginsburg fell to Almaraz in two close matches, 6-4 and 7-5. Marr also lost in a close game against Little, 7-5 and 6-4. Gjurasic won both sets against Melissa O’Berto 6-3. Schwartz lost the first set against Sydney Ewing, 2-6, but came back in the second and third set, 6-2 and 6-2, to finish the day for the Bearcats with a win.

Robert McKinney reported that WU Head Coach Bryce Parmelly said, “To sweep the doubles was huge and really set the tone of the match. We continue to mature on a daily basis. We just have to keep building.”

The Bearcats’ record improved to 1-1 on the season, while the Yotes fell to 0-3. WU’s next game will be in two weeks on Saturday, March 16, against the University of Puget Sound in the first NWC game of their spring season.

jtkobashigawa@willamette.edu