Home2018-2019WU excels in two track & field meets this week

WU excels in two track & field meets this week

Britt Mitchell – Contributor
Jarin Kobashigawa – Sports Editor

Keeping up with this season’s trend, Willamette’s track & field athletes broke more personal records this past weekend. On Friday, April 5, athletes from Southern Oregon University, Concordia University, Northwest Christian University and Portland State University competed in the John Knight Twilight Meet, which took place in Monmouth, OR. Saturday, April 6 was the Jenn Boyman Memorial Invitational in McMinnville, OR, featuring junior hammer thrower Hope Duenas, who placed fifth in her event.

Senior Hazel Carr, sophomore Risa Shultz and first-year Dana Hamilton competed in the women’s 5,000-meter race and finished in first, third and sixth place, respectively. Carr crushed the competition with a time of 18:23.40, finishing 56 seconds ahead of the second place runner Danel Camacho of Western Oregon University. Carr’s time was a new personal best by approximately 37 seconds. Shultz put on a good fight throughout the 5,000m race, putting up a new personal best time of 19:20.42 but was pushed back to third place by just one second. Hamilton, in her first 5,000m race on the track, did exceptionally well, finishing with a time of 19:52.66, just three seconds behind fifth-place Moriah Duenich of Northwest Christian.

Junior Connor Gianni placed second in the men’s 400m race among 19 runners and was less than a second away from first place. Gabe Arce-Torres of Western Oregon took the gold for the 400m race with a time of 49.38, while Gianni finished with a time of 50.25. Duenas finished in second place in the women’s discus throw among 14 competitors with a distance of 43.17m. First place Moana Gianotti of Western Oregon outdid Duenas by 0.07m with a distance of 43.24m.

In the men’s 1,500m race, junior Michael Montague finished in sixth place out of 54 runners while achieving a new personal best time of 3:57.10, shaving off about two seconds from his previous best. Senior Keith Carlson finished in 19th place with a time of 4:06.16.

Graduate student RoShaan Rogers finished in fourth place in the men’s 400m hurdle race with a time of 57.60. Jett Pharn-Cromb of Clark College very narrowly beat out Rogers for third place with a time of 57.36. Senior Emily Evans place seventh in the women’s 3,00m steeplechase with a time of 10:48.46. First-year Adrian Schnee recorded a distance of 16’0.50” in the women’s long jump and placed ninth among 15 jumpers. Junior Brian Peck placed eighth in the men’s 110m hurdle race, ninth in the men’s long jump and ninth in the men’s javelin throw. Sophomore Keaton Beckmann finished above Peck, in eighth, in the javelin throw event with a distance of 155’9”.

Junior Hope Duenas finished in fifth place in the hammer throw at the Jenn Boyman Memorial Invitational on Saturday, April 6.
PC: Chris Sabato

At the Jenn Boymann Memorial Invitational on Saturday, Duenas threw for a new personal best distance of 131’3” in the women’s hammer throw. Sophomore Jeidah DeZurney and first-year Avery Mickelsen both set personal records in the hammer throw event with distances of 118’2” and 113’5” respectively. Junior Saige Swan placed 10th out of 25 athletes in the men’s hammer throw with a distance of 129’7”.

The Bearcats will compete in the Pacific Lū’au Invitational hosted by Pacific University on Saturday, April 13 in Forest Grove, OR.

bemitchell@willamette.edu
jtkobashigawa@willamette.edu

Tags