Home2018-2019WU lacrosse breaks even over the weekend

WU lacrosse breaks even over the weekend

NOAH DANTES,
STAFF WRITER

Willamette women’s lacrosse stayed on the road for the third weekend in a row, taking on Northwest Conference (NWC) rivals Pacific University and Linfield College. While the team dominated Pacific from start to finish, they struggled against the second place Linfield Wildcats. The Bearcats currently hold a 5-10 season record and a 3-7 record in the NWC with two games left to play.

The first matchup came on Saturday, April 20 against Pacific in Forest Grove, OR. Sophomore Anabel Ohsman scored within the first minute of the game and the Bearcats never looked back. With an assist from first-year Victoria Glidden, Ohsman scored her second goal only three minutes later. First-year Miranda Piros added on with a goal of her own, assisted by sophomore Alayna Newland. Newland scored unassisted right after Piros, providing Willamette a 4-0 edge in the opening 10 minutes.

The scoring onslaught continued throughout the rest of the first half. Glidden scored her first goal at 19:16, assisted by sophomore Nina Hernandez. Meanwhile, the Bearcats’ goalkeeper senior Kara Phillips racked up eight saves on the day, completely shutting out Pacific in the first half. Then, starting at 16:05, Ohsman went on a dominating run, scoring four goals in 4:04, all but one unassisted. First-year Laura Kelly, who had provided the assist on the fourth goal in Ohsman’s run, scored herself on a free position shot at 8:07. Newland and Ohsman each scored once more to close out the half. With that goal, Ohsman scored her seventh of the day and the outing marked her eighth multiple-goal game of the season. She is also Willamette’s scoring leader for the season with 41 goals. The Bearcats ended the half 12-0.

First-year Emma Canchola, sophomore Nina Hernandez and sophomore Miya Konishi preparing to defend (left to right).
PC: Robert White

The scoring lessened in the second half, but Willamette closed out the home team with a goal from both Piros and Hernandez and two from sophomore Miya Konishi. Pacific managed two goals of its own to end the shutout, but the Bearcat’s strong first half proved too much to overcome. Willamette prevailed 16-2, sweeping the season series versus Pacific.

The Bearcats took on Linfield in McMinnville, OR in the final road game of the season on Sunday afternoon. Piros recorded her fifth hat trick of the season for Willamette in the game. Piros’ first came with four goals in the season opener versus Johnson & Wales University and had another the following week with three goals against Wartburg College. She also had hat tricks against Pacific with seven goals on March 30 and Whitworth University with five goals on April 6.

Linfield got off to a fast start, going up 7-0 before Piros scored her first goal. The Wildcats had claimed a crushing 15-1 lead by the time the first half ended, and Linfield’s defense held strong in the second half to end the game 18-3 in favor of the home team. Piros is Willamette’s second-leading scorer with 32 goals on the season. Unfortunately, the rest of the Bearcats were kept off the scoreboard in the loss.

The Bearcats will play at home this Saturday, April 27, hosting Whitworth University on Sparks Field at 1 p.m. (PST). Willamette’s lacrosse will close out its inaugural season on Sunday, April 28 at 1 p.m. (PST) on Sparks Field versus Whitman College. Sunday will also be Senior Day for the Bearcats when Kara Phillips, Laura Polkinghorn and Kali Vickery will be honored.

ngdantes@willamette.edu