Home2018-2019WU tennis breaks even over the weekend

WU tennis breaks even over the weekend

Cody Miller,

Both the women’s and men’s tennis teams broke even this past weekend, winning one match and losing the other. The women’s team lost, 9-0, against George Fox University (GFU) on Saturday, Feb. 23, then went on to beat Highline College, 7-2, on Sunday. The men’s team defeated Bellevue College, 7-2, on Friday and lost to Lewis & Clark College, 9-0, on Sunday.

The women’s team first made a trip to Newberg, OR, on Saturday, Feb. 23, to face GFU. Willamette got shut out but came close in several of their matches. The first doubles match between sophomores Sarah Dean and Robin Pashek and George Fox’s Jillian Studer and Laney Search was a tight match-up that GFU won, 8-6. In another close match, sophomore Siena Ginsburg and senior Hannah Andres lost, 8-7, to Danielle Brown and Alyssa Byde. In singles, sophomore Slyvia Marr took a tough loss. After winning the first set, 7-5, her opponent Alyssa Byde took the next two sets, 6-3 and 1-0, to win the match.

The next day, the Bearcats were back in Salem playing against Highline College. On the way to a 7-2 win, Dean and Pashek defeated Miriam Cabrera and Lexi Maison in a doubles match, 8-5. Marr and senior Alexis Gjurasic won their match, 8-3. Ginsburg and Andres added another win for the Bearcats in their 8-2 victory. In singles, Dean defeated Cabrera 6-0 and 6-2. Ginsburg won her match against Danielle Mendoza, 6-4 and 6-2. Gjurasic beat Kaylin Phan, 6-4 and 6-2. Sophomore Alexis Schwartz defeated Nikelle Price, 6-1 and 6-2.

Willamette’s men’s team played their first game of the weekend on Friday, Feb. 22, and defeated Bellevue College, 7-2. The Bearcats won all of their doubles matches with scores of 8-3. First-year Andrew Kabacy and senior Aaron Schechter defeated Yevgeny Komiyets and Oscar Kruz. Juniors Colin Fisher and Gene Perle-Jones beat Nick Berni and Hayden Wood. Sophomore Luke Hiserman and first-year Charles Pezeshki won their match against Ivn Paredes and Ryan Ung.

In singles, Kabacy defeated Kolomiyets, 6-3 and 6-3. Fisher won against Berni, 6-1 and 6-3. Perle-Jones battled Hayden Wood to three sets, eventually prevailing, 6-0, 5-7 and 11-9. Senior Endy Zarate swept his opponent to round out the win for his team.

On Sunday, the men’s team traveled to Portland to play Lewis & Clark College. In a tough loss, Lewis & Clarke swept the Bearcats. In doubles competition, Kabacy and first-year Charles Pezeshki played hard in an 8-4 loss to Pioneers Brendan Adams and Will McDermott. Kabacy also put up a fight against Raed Attia, eventually losing 6-1 and 7-5. Fisher kept it close in his match against Adams as well, losing 7-5 and 6-2.

The women’s next game will take place at the Salem Tennis and Swim Club against Bellevue College on Friday, March 1 at 4 p.m. (PST). The men’s team will head down to Los Angeles for their next game, taking place at Biola University on Friday, March 1, at 10 a.m. (PST).

ctmiller@willamette.edu