Home2018-2019WU tennis finishes with a 1-3 weekend record

WU tennis finishes with a 1-3 weekend record

Cody Miller,

Both the men and women’s tennis teams played two games this past weekend. The men’s team came up short in both of it’s games on Saturday and Sunday. The women’s team lost their it’s on Saturday but came away with a victory on Sunday.

On Saturday, April 13, the men’s tennis team traveled to Newberg, OR to face George Fox University, who is ranked #27 in the NCAA Division III. The Bruins proved to be too much for the Bearcats, sweeping WU in singles and doubles for a 9-0 win. In doubles competition, senior Aaron Schechter and first-year Andrew Kabacy came up short against Will Leach and Keaten, Baker, 8-3. Juniors Colin Fisher and Gene Perle-Jones lost to Luke Lemaitre and Alex Namba by the same score, 8-3.

In singles competition, Kabacy lost to Lemaitre in the first match, 6-1 and 6-0. Schechter played hard against Leach, but ultimately lost in two sets, 6-4 and 6-1. Fisher lost his match to Namba in two sets as well, 6-4 and 6-2. Perle-Jones fell to Namba 6-0 in both sets while sophomore Luke Hiserman was defeated by Jonah Wafula, 6-0 and 6-3.

The next day, the Bearcats were at home against Lewis & Clark College (L&C). The Bearcats came up short again, 7-2. L&C took all three doubles matches, but Fisher and Perle-Jones came close against Will McDermott and Brendan Adams, 8-6. Kabacy and Schechter were defeated by Ramez and Raed Attia, 8-4.

In singles, Kabacy picked up a win against Raed Attia in three sets, winning the first set 6-4, losing the second set 1-6 and pulling away with the win in the third set 1-0. Perle-Jones’ match also came to three sets, in which he defeated Will McDermott, 6-4, 1-6, 1-0.

The men’s team fell to 1-12 overall with a 1-4 record in the NWC. It’s next game will be on Saturday, April 20 in McMinnville, OR against Linfield College at 11 a.m. (PST)

The women’s team hosted George Fox University on Saturday, April 13, where the Bruins gained momentum from three close doubles victories, going on to win 7-2. In the first double competition, sophomores Sarah Dean and Robin Pashek lost a closely-contested match to Sophia Lawrence and Search Laney, 8-6. Senior Hannah Andres and sophomore Siena Ginsburg also came close in their match with Danielle Brown and Alyssa Byde but lost 8-5. In singles competition, Dean defeated Jillian Studer in two sets, 6-0 and 6-0. Ginsburg also recorded a win against Taylor Morris, 6-3 and 6-4. Sophomore Sylvia Marr was barely defeated by Laney Search, 6-3 and 6-4. Senior Alexis Gjurasic put up a decent fight against Danielle Brown, but eventually fell in her match, 6-2 in both sets.

The next day the women’s team traveled to Forest Grove, OR where they defeated Pacific University in a close match, 5-4. Dean and Pashek started the Bearcats off with a win in the first doubles competition, taking down Chantelle Baclay and Marissa Hayashi of GFU, 8-3.Ginsburg and Andres won their match against Adrienne Powell and Megan Meatte, 8-3. In singles competition, Pashek swept Halie Chang in two sets, 6-0 and 6-0. Marr won a tightly-contested match against Johanna Wilson 7-6 and 6-4. Gjurasic lost her match against Marissa Hayashi, 6-2 and 6-2. With the teams tied at 4-4, Andres clutched up in her match against Meatte and won 6-0 and 6-4.

The Bearcats improved to 4-8 with the win, and their next match will be on Friday, April 19, in Portland, OR against Lewis & Clark College at 4 p.m. (PST). Next weekend will be the final week of play for both tennis teams.

ctmiller@willamette.edu