Campus Safety Report April 7- April 20

Provided by Campus Safety

The Campus Safety Report is published as received, without edits by Collegian staff

Graphic by Maizy Goerlitz

Emergency Medical Aid

April 7, 2023, 8:53 p.m. (In a Campus Residence): A student called Campus Safety to request medical assistance due to a bad reaction to their medication. A Campus Safety officer and WEMS arrived on scene to assess the situation. The student declined an ambulance, and instead requested a Campus Safety escort to the ER. The student and their friend were transported to the ER as requested.

April 9, 2023, 10:30 a.m. (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a report that there was a student lying down in one of the residence hall bathrooms reporting nausea and stomach issues. A Campus Safety officer arrived on scene and assisted the student into the Campus Safety vehicle for transportation to the ER as requested.

April 10, 2023, 5:45 p.m. (In a Campus Residence): A student called Campus Safety who stated they were attempting to get help from the Bishop Wellness Center for abdominal pain. A Campus Safety officer arrived on scene and transported the student to the ER as requested, as Bishop Wellness was closed.

April 16, 2023, 3:32 a.m. (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a phone call from a student requesting medical assistance. The student reported that they were feeling hot, dizzy, and nauseous, and that they had passed out. A Campus Safety officer and WEMS arrived on scene to assess the situation. The student also reported that they had hit their head on the bathroom sink when they had passed out. WEMS advised that the student be taken to the hospital, but the student declined an ambulance. A Campus Safety officer transported the student to the ER as requested.

Suspicious Activity/Persons

April 7, 2023, 6:04 p.m. (Softball Parking Lot): Campus Safety received a call from the alarm company reporting a burglary alarm in the softball parking lot. On the way to the scene, Campus Safety officers also received multiple calls reporting suspicious individuals looking into cars and attempting to open car doors at this location. Upon arrival at the scene, officers made contact with an individual who was exiting the premises, and another who complied when the officers asked them to leave. The softball indoor batting cage door had been left open, but nothing appeared to be missing. Additionally, the officers found a new hole in the fencing to the softball lot. The door to a vehicle that was parked in the lot had also been left open, and the vehicle appeared to have been rummaged through. The owner of the vehicle was contacted, and photos of the scene were taken.

April 13, 2023, 10:04 p.m. (In a Campus Residence): A Campus Safety officer observed an open window at one of the residence halls, and what appeared to be a flashlight shining inside. The officer responded to the room and found three students in the bathroom who appeared to have been smoking, as the air smelled strongly of cigarettes. The students were advised of campus policies and that Willamette is a smoke free campus.

April 14, 2023, 11:46 p.m. (Softball Field): Campus Safety received a report that there were several individuals on the roof of the softball dugouts and the batting cage. A Campus Safety officer arrived on scene and observed a ladder propped against the side of the dugouts. The officer climbed the ladder and found eight individuals on the roof: six students, and two individuals who stated they were guests of the students. Photos were taken of the scene and the individuals were advised they needed to leave, to which they complied.

April 16, 2023, 9:00 a.m. (Goudy Commons): A Willamette employee called Campus Safety to report that the stall door in the Goudy Commons men’s restroom had been forcibly removed from the hinges. A Campus Safety officer responded to the scene to take photos and file a report. Goudy employees had moved the detached stall door to the storage area until it could be reattached.

April 19, 2023, 10:32 p.m. (University Center): A Willamette community member called Campus Safety to report that an individual was sleeping on the second floor of the University Center inside the Cat Cavern. Campus Safety officers responded to the scene and found the individual, who woke up as the officers entered the room. The officers also observed multiple chocolate bars and plastic spoons strewn about the room. It was determined that the individual had taken various items from the kitchen behind the Cat Cavern, and had consumed six protein bars and four bottles of water, in addition to opening cases of spoons and chocolate. The officers contacted Salem PD, and the individual was notified that they needed to leave the building. The Salem PD responded and arrested the individual, who was not affiliated with Willamette University.

Theft

April 7, 2023, 7:45 p.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): A student called Campus Safety to report that their roof rack had been stolen from their vehicle. The student stated that the item was most likely stolen sometime the night before. A Campus Safety officer responded to the scene to file a report on the theft and take photos of the scene.

April 17, 2023, 10:44 p.m. (AGSM): A student called Campus Safety to report that their vehicle had been broken into. They reported that when they returned to their vehicle, they found that their glove box was open and their registration was missing. They reported that their vehicle had been locked prior to the incident, and that their windows had been rolled up completely. The officer advised the individual to file a report with the Salem PD.

April 19, 2023, 12:05 p.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): Campus Safety received a report from a student who stated that gasoline had been stolen from their vehicle while it was parked in the Matthews Parking Lot. The student stated that when they attempted to start their vehicle, it stalled a few times and displayed the message “gas level low.” The student stated that their tank had been ¾ full when they had parked their vehicle. Upon further inspection, the student reported seeing a pool of gasoline under their vehicle, and found that their gas tank had been drilled into from underneath the vehicle. The student was also advised to file a report with Salem PD.

April 20, 2023, 1:06 a.m. (Shepard Hall): A Campus Safety officer observed an individual exiting the Shepard parking lot, pushing a shopping cart full of wood. The officer then reviewed camera footage, which showed the same individual entering the parking lot with an empty shopping cart a few minutes prior. Two officers arrived on scene but were unable to locate the individual. The shed between Shepard Hall and Pi Beta Phi was then found unsecured with a smaller quantity of wood inside than last known.

Vehicle Accident

April 15, 2023, 5:01 p.m. (Mill St): Campus Safety received a report from a Willamette employee stating that they just witnessed a vehicle accident on Mill Street. A Campus Safety officer arrived on scene to file a report. A vehicle had been hit by another vehicle while it was parked on the street and had sustained significant front end damage. No injuries had occurred in the incident. Photos of the vehicle were taken and a report was filed.

April 18, 2023, 1:30 p.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): A Willamette employee called Campus Safety to report damage to their vehicle that they believe occurred sometime in the past few weeks. A Campus Safety officer arrived on scene to file a report and take photos of the vehicle damage.

• White Facebook Icon