• Aubrey Tuttle

Dance Co. auditions: Behind the curtains

Art by: Wes Mowry-Silverman

Willamette’s Dance Company is a student-run organization that brings the community a full dance production every semester, but just how do they pull it off term after term? The first step towards the showcase is auditions. This fall’s semester-long process of producing this performance only recently started, with auditions held on Saturday, Sept. 14. The audition consists of three parts: seeing the choreography, learning the audition dance and auditioning. 

First, the choreographers show the dancers a taste of the dances they are auditioning to be a part of. One after another, the choreographers take the stage and perform a quick 30-second demonstration of their dance and provide a general overview of the performance, what they are looking for in a dancer and the difficulty level. The auditioning dancers then rank these dances in order of preference. After submitting their preferences and basic information, the dancers hit the stage and take their turn showing the choreographers what they've got. 

On stage, they are taught en masse how to perform two short dances in the styles of ballet and hip-hop. Izzy Cornelison (‘27) taught the ballet portion, taking on the responsibility of teaching nearly 80 dancers. They stated, “It was stressful with 83 or so people on stage at once, but I thought it was an absolute party.” Participants raved about this student-led aspect of the audition and its contributions to their experiences. Sage Miller (‘27) said, “Since it is student-led, everyone is super nice and very patient.” Dance Co. is open to all levels, which many find takes the pressure off of performing. As Miller said, “If everyone doesn't know what they are doing then it's like you fit in more.”

After each respective bootcamp (ballet and hip hop), the dancers audition in groups of five. Choreographers watch closely, on the lookout for potential dancers. While it is an audition and the choreographers are looking for key characteristics, every dancer who auditions is guaranteed at least one spot in their top 10 dances. When looking for potential dancers, choreographers are often looking not only for skills but also stage comfortability and general stage presence. Kaiona Apio (‘24), a grad student who has been choreographing for three semesters, says that what they look for in a dancer goes beyond just how well they perform the specific audition piece: “What I'm looking for first and foremost is someone who is not afraid to look a little silly.” Since some of the dances taught at Dance Co. might look or feel silly on their own or out of context, it is important for choreographers to make note of these more fun qualities. 

If dancers can't make it to the designated audition date, there is an online opportunity sent out. However, most prefer to do the experience in person. Miller said that “going and experiencing auditions in person is so much fun and it really adds to the experience and gives you an opportunity to meet new people.” Once all of the auditions, online and in person, have been processed, the choreographers take their pick of the eligible dancers and send out acceptance emails.

However, there is still so much that goes into these performances between the audition process and the showcase coming up in November. Now that the auditions are over and the students have been sorted into their dances, the next stage of the process begins. For the next few months, choreographers are leading rehearsals once a week, teaching the students their dances and getting the steps down for another highly anticipated performance on Nov. 21 and 22.  

• White Facebook Icon