Skeet Starr, Sports Editor

Fast Break: Golf wins the NWC Classic, men’s soccer on a roll, Lutes check out ‘alternative’ news

Students of Willamette play a game of pickup soccer with the ducks. Graphic by Alyssa Diggdon.

Hello, Bearcat Fan! For a brief moment at halftime during this weekend’s men’s soccer match against PLU, Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven” drifted from the loudspeakers onto the leaf-strewn turf. It reminded fans that the piper of sport calls us all to join him in his arena, his pageant of war. Some dance, and some cover their ears. Let’s go to the news!

Men’s soccer pieced up Lewis and Clark (4-0), snaked a win over the Loggers (2-1), and drew No. 1 PLU (1-1) to go undefeated this week. They are now one point shy of the No. 6 spot.

After Nina Krassner-Cybulski (’25) scored yet another game winner over the Pios, women’s soccer’s four game win-streak was brought to a close by the Tacoma schools: UPS narrowly prevailed 2-1 while the No. 1 Lutes scrapped to a 3-0 finish. The ‘Cats are tied for third.

After desecating Lewis and Clark (3-0), volleyball was dusted by the Tac schools. Coach Hallock’s rebuilt squad continues to struggle for a top four spot. 

Oliver Smith (’26) led Bearcats’ golf to victory at the NWC Classic. The squad is teeing off at the Confluence Classic as this edition of the Fast Break is being written.

After losing 0-50 to PLU over the weekend, the Light Brigade (Football) has a cumulative conference point differential of -170, which is one touchdown worse than last season’s three-game tally. Half a league, half a league, half a league onward …

In typical fashion, Will Hennum (’25), Jay Chew (’26) and Zoe Heino (’26) led ‘Cats’ cross country to 12th and sixth place finishes at the George Oja Invitational respectively. 

Eye on the conference: The Pacific Lutheran women’s soccer Instagram admin has some atypical following habits … 

In the world of sport: The New York Liberty clinched the WNBA finals, Kalen DeBoer was better off in purple, the Timbers snagged the Cascadia Cup, the Dodgers are headed to the World Series, officiants hurried off the field after a confusing Beavers’ football loss to UNLV, Khamzat “Borz” Chimaev will return at UFC 308 against Robert “The Reaper” Whittaker, and we at The Collegian can hardly contain our rabid and venomous excitement. 

1 view0 comments
  • White Facebook Icon