• Skeet Starr, Sports Editor

Football clocks second win, nobody does the Bearcat Rumble

Students of Willamette play a game of pickup soccer with the ducks. Art by: Alyssa Diggdon

Hello, Bearcat Fan! ASWU meets tonight (Tuesday, Oct. 1) to vote their stance on newly proposed administrative guidelines relating to on-campus demonstrations. Thankfully for sports fans, the guidelines (heavily contested by the Students for a Democratic Society) make no specific mention of common Bearcat sports fan behaviors: attacking rival school’s energies in the astral realm, cheating, and breaking and entering. I’m sure I speak for all of us when I say “thank you” to the admin for leaving these time-tested avenues of sports support open. Let’s go to the news!

Trajan Clark (‘26) converted a pair of identical flat routes to earn six, two and the final lead (21-18) of football’s game against Simpson. Now another conference season stands before them. Can they finally get a win?

Women’s soccer defeated the Bruins 2-1, placing them three rankings clear of their projected eighth place conference finish. They will head northeast this weekend to take on No. 3 Whitworth and No. 7 Whitman. 

Men’s soccer, who outshot George Fox 22-12, lost 0-2 by way of a crunching intra-box challenge and a confusing defensive mishap. They, alongside the women, are preparing for their annual Whits weekend.

Richelle Suzuki (‘25), Eva Leif (‘27) and Ruby Thompson (‘24) of women’s tennis won their consolation brackets at the ITA Regionals.

Volleyball’s on thin ice; having lost 0-3 to Fox this week, they now sit at 2-10 overall and 1-3 in the conference.

In the world of sport: The newly released EAFC 25 is the first of its kind to include a women’s career mode, Kalen DeBoer’s Alabama weathered a rabid Georgia Bulldog comeback (41-34) and Christine Sinclair announced her retirement from the Thorns.

Consider in the coming weeks: In a 2011 Collegian article titled “Everybody do the Bearcat Rumble,” Sean Dart wrote: “I was at the scorer’s table, ready to check in, and I look across to see the future lawyers, doctors, and great thinkers acting like absolute children. … Everyone was doing the Bearcat Rumble.” Despite the cheerleaders of today’s attempts to revive said artifact of Willamette’s culture, it remains unpracticed by the modern Bearcat. What did it look like? Is it in the room with us now, alongside those “great thinkers?” 

• White Facebook Icon