• Ernie Samora, Staff Writer

Sparks used to have a Dolly Parton plaque; where is it now?

Graphic by Carolyn Vasquez.

This article is a rerun of a print story from May 2024. The print version was corrected to reflect input from former Athletics Director Dave Rigsby. Writer Ernie Samora is a former Collegian staff member.

Parton me! Have you seen this plaque? Perceptive Bearcat readers may recall a story last year detailing Dolly Parton’s history with Willamette University. Her generous donation made possible the purchase of fitness equipment for the Sparks facility upon its first reconstruction in 1995. A plaque was displayed within the facility to commemorate Parton’s contribution. However, upon the center’s second reconstruction in 2014, the plaque vanished, seemingly without a trace. This year, I made it my personal mission to track down the plaque. Follow me on a journey that spans campus, across departments and across Salem. 

Beginning the search I tumbled out of bed, stumbled to the kitchen, poured myself a cup of ambition and emailed Athletics Director Rob Passage. Passage and I had spoken last fall and I hoped he had been taking the issue as seriously as me in the interim. “Ernie,” he began, “I have not been able to track [the plaque] down. I think the best place to start would be the University archives if you are starting to search.” I had already discovered last year that the archivists have no record of receiving the plaque. The archive did, however, have some photos I had not seen previously. 

New photos of Parton having a seemingly wonderful time at the Willamette alumni football game on Sept. 15, 1989. Parton is all smiles, hanging with some football players and taking photos with sports fans. Ernie also discovered a photo of Sparks during the reconstruction that brought us new fitness equipment and the plaque itself. 

While I was ecstatic to get new DP content, I remained fixated on my goal. I reached out to the architect responsible for the 1995 redesign, one Jon McGrew of Hennebery Eddy Architects. While McGrew did not know anything about the plaque, he connected me with others from his office who worked on the same project. None responded to my emails. 

I stopped at the Heritage Center, yearning to procure even a whisper of the elusive artifact. Curator and Collections Manager of the Heritage Center Kylie Pine and I looked through local newspaper archives and other Willamette University archives. However, there was no sign of Parton. 

As the trails off campus began to run cold, I decided to turn my attention back toward campus. Willamette has a number of professors whose history at the university spans decades, perhaps some of whom could propel my pursuit of the plaque. I reached out to professor Stas Stavrianeas of the exercise and health science department. He has an extended history with Willamette and his office was located in Sparks prior to the 2014 reconstruction. 

I took my time to meticulously craft a succinct, polite email detailing my quest and requesting his help. Within minutes, I got a ping from my computer. “New Message.” Wow. He was prompt. Could this be the answer to my prayers? Could this be the break in the case that leads me to the fabled relic? I clicked on his email with bated breath. …

“Sorry,” he wrote. I was too. “I have no idea what this plaque is all about. I am certain those in charge of Sparks would know best.” I thought the same. The leads were drying up.

As days turned into weeks, my anxiety grew to desperation. I became less and less convinced this plaque was real. Thoughts circled my brain like a cow in a tornado. Maybe the plaque never existed, I worried. Perhaps it was just a lie peddled by “Big Willamette” to sell more dorm rooms. Perhaps it was a myth told to Bearcats to inspire hope and a belief in magic, much like the Tooth Fairy or new Rihanna music. It was enough to drive me crazy if I let it. The mission was now personal.

I hit the library again and went through each of the Wallulah yearbooks from 1985 when Parton first visited campus to 1995 when her donation helped remodel Sparks. Suspiciously, the 1996 yearbook was nowhere to be found in both the library shelves and the archives. While I did not find any photos of the plaque, the 1989 Wallulah yielded yet another new photograph.

Photo discovered by Ernie Samora

Next, I turned my attention toward The Collegian archives. I first discovered a quiz from Feb. 10, 1999, entitled “Do You Know WU?” by Collegian alum Marion Hunt. Question 14 read, “Who is the famous woman pictured in the weight room of Sparks?” The options were “Rosie O’Donnell, Dolly Parton, Hillary Clinton and Bill Clinton.” As the resident expert on Dolly Parton at Willamette, I am fairly certain that the correct answer is Dolly. Could this picture have been related to the fated plaque? 

Then I found an article titled “Dolly Parton’s charity needed again” by Fred Engell. Published on Sept. 21, 2005, Engell mentions a “small plaque to the left of the ‘fitness room’ entrance.” 

Engell provides more details, writing: “This plaque reads something to the order of ‘fitness equipment made available by a grant from a Dolly Parton charity group.’ Above it is a picture of the said Mrs. Parton holding a football and sporting a female mullet.” While I could maintain my sanity now knowing that the plaque was real, I was still no closer to laying my eyes upon this fine piece of Willamette history. Although, I appreciated Engell’s vivid description.

As I wracked my brain trying to figure out my next steps, I asked myself: What would a non-copyrighted archaeologist, professor and adventurer do? I decided to take this mystery all the way to the top. I needed to talk to Steve Thorsett. 

Thorsett was inaugurated as president in 2011, three years before the reconstruction took place and the plaque vanished. In one last Hail Mary, I sent Thorsett an email. He was rather prompt, responding to me after just six minutes. 

“Hi Ernie,” he wrote. “I think Rob Passage might have the Dolly Parton plaque in his office over in Sparks.” Passage does not. He continued, “It used to be on the wall right outside the fitness center, commemorating her support of the previous renovation and expansion, but got moved when the center was expanded again.” 

With capstone assignments stacking up and my time at Willamette coming to an end, it was time to call it quits in my pursuit. As I move on to alumnihood, joining Parton in the ranks of former Bearcats, I pass the torch on to you, young Binturong reader. Take the baton. Continue where I left off. Maybe you’ll be luckier than I was. Maybe you can find the plaque. I believe in you! And so I’ll go, and yet I know, I’ll think of you, Dolly, each step of the way.

If you have any information regarding the plaque or its whereabouts, please contact us at collegian-editor-in-chief@willamette.edu.

• White Facebook Icon