Collegian staff

The Bistro reopens for fall semester despite previous struggles

Emma Innes

News Editor

Following a difficult year in the face of COVID-19 precautions, Willamette University’s student run coffee shop, The Bistro, has announced that it is reopening for the Fall 2021 Semester. The Bistro’s general manager, Cassie Stoffer (‘22) , sent an email out to the Willamette community announcing the return and providing details on the reopening. The Bistro remains on limited hours, open only on weekdays 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. These hours begin Monday, Aug. 30, the first day of classes for the College of Arts and Sciences.

As previously reported in the Collegian, sales were down 70 percent during the fall semester. The Associated Students of Willamette University (ASWU) gave the Bistro a $18,000 grant to replenish what was spent from the Bistro’s backup account. At the time, there was a possibility the Bistro would not be able to reopen for the Spring. However, with sales down 75% in February 2021 the Bistro closed for the Spring ‘21 semester on Mar. 31 in order to be able to reopen this fall.

While the Bistro is not completely back to its pre-COVID-19 days, there are some changes to it’s pandemic precautions from the 2020-21 school year. The Bistro is bringing back full seating and Bistro bucks will return. However, it will remain cashless with masks required unless actively eating or drinking. Stoffer’s email did not mention if customers could bring their own cups, something not allowed in the previous year. The Bistro’s instagram has also announced that it’s full size buzz bars and bars bars are back as well.

Σχόλια