• Maya Darski

WU Bird Nerds flock together to protect the birds

Professor David Craig and students in the Willamette Bird Nerd Club pose for a photo with their cameras and binoculars on Sept. 20th, 2024. Photo by: Caramia Christensen

Walking the grounds of Willamette University, you may spot a hummingbird buzzing near a flower, ducks happily floating on the Mill Stream or occasionally a great blue heron standing by the Mill Stream banks. Professor David Craig, a biology professor at Willamette and club advisor for WU Bird Nerds, always enjoys seeing birds around campus — except when he spots a cedar waxwing lying cold on the ground by a window. 

Dead birds on campus are often victims of window strikes, which is what occurs when a bird unwillingly crashes into a window while migrating or searching for food. Willamette’s windows are deadly to birds, especially the window students see frequently: the window of the Bistro. Luckily, Craig knows the best people to gather to protect the birds: the WU Bird Nerds! 

The WU Bird Nerds, the bird-watching club on campus, is led by three second-year officers: President David Gregg (‘27), Vice President Teya Fukuhara (‘27) and Treasurer Daniel Barnard (‘27). Craig brought these three together after seeing their shared passion. Gregg and Barnard had always been interested in birds, with Gregg stating that they have been an interest for him since he was 10 years old. Fukuhara initially didn’t know much about birds until she went on a bird walk led by Craig. She remarked how after that, an everyday creature “turned into something magical.”

Once these three got together to form the club, they decided that they wanted a mix of learning and fun. Fukuhara described it as a “nerdy interest club” where members can learn about birds, find ways to help them on campus, and “foster a general appreciation for them, because appreciation turns into action.” Gregg states that the club also values doing volunteer and service projects on campus. Most of all, the officers want to “focus on what the members want to do.” Member Marina Grey (‘28) is hoping to learn how to identify birds and member Nathaniel Ashford (‘28) is looking forward to identifying bird calls, learning their Latin names and taking photos. 

The Berds (Bird Nerds) meet in Olin 101 on Fridays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. and go out around campus looking for birds with their binoculars, but they have goals of expanding their adventures. Gregg is eager to go to Minto Brown Island Park in Salem, his favorite place to be growing up. Gregg noted that there are lots of different trails and ponds to see ducks, and added that this park has “a lot of species you won’t see anywhere else,” making it an ideal place to birdwatch.  He also has a goal of gathering people to help fill the bird feeders around campus. Fukuhara would like to go to Cannon Beach in the spring to see puffins and hopes that in the future, the Berds can go on camping trips, not only to birdwatch but to bond as a club. 

With these bigger events in mind, the officers plan to make sure they move on with their plans steadily. Fukuhara says that they are “taking it one thing at a time” and are focusing on gaining knowledge from one experience, then applying it to their next project. 

The Berds’ first project is intended to protect birds from window strikes. On Oct. 5 from noon to 3 p.m., all students can come to The Bistro to participate in painting lines and bird art on the Bistro’s windows. “Cedar waxwings that may strike windows are around campus during the fall, making this issue a priority,” Gregg stated. Birds see the reflection of trees on the window and unintentionally crash into them. With the painted lines and art, the birds will see that they cannot fly through. Club member Gavin Solari (‘28) described how this project is “an easy solution” to the issue and helps raise awareness. 

In terms of reasons to join the Berds, Craig explained, “Birdwatching is a gateway to lots of other outdoor activities.” Anyone who has a curiosity for birds or outdoor activities will find Bird Nerds to be an excellent way to be introduced to nature adventures.

Fukuhara hopes that the club will help people develop a compassion for birds and the nature all around them. “The littlest hummingbird can make people stop and stare,” Fukuhara reflected. “When you’re walking around campus, try to listen and think about the sounds. Appreciate the small things.” You can find the WU Bird Nerds on Instagram @wubirdnerds or email wubirdnerds@gmail.com with any questions about the club.

• White Facebook Icon